Can’t wait for the beach trip while in Brazil watching the World Cup. We will be going to João Pessoa , the famous beach town. This will be my notebook for what to do, where to go and what to eat there.
We have rented a place at Residencial Monte Cristo near Cabo Branco. See the location I have marked on Wikimapia:
Where to go?
One day trip:
Porto de Galinhas -about 2 to 3 hours’ drive south of Joao Pessoa:
Or Porto de Galinhas and Maragogi on the same trip:
However, I have read online that : “The phenomenon of the natural pools occurs only during low tide. The time of low tide changes every day, moving between half an hour and 45 minutes. The ideal place to find the clearest pools is arriving 90 minutes before the minimum point of the tide. From the moment when the tide begins to fill, the water gets stirred with sand in suspension. When you are already in place in natural pools, can plan your way to the right time. When you come from afar, must conform to the time of giving to get. Operators are often not entirely truthful with respect to the tide and lead hikers even in unfavorable conditions.”
- Cabo Branco Beach Cabo Branco is the main beach of João Pessoa with clean swimming water and many seafront restaurants. Limited by cliffs that are covered by the rest of the Atlantic Forest, this environmentally protected area has a sidewalk along the beach road. Everyday, during 3 hours in the morning (between 5:00am and 8:00am) the road become pedestrianised and hundreds of walkers march down the sea front to the Lighthouse (Farol). There is also place for runners, skaters and cyclists. At night, you can join the many volleyball or football matches in the beach or dine in one of the many places around.
- Praia de CamboinhaAreia Vermelha (The Red Sand Island) is a sandbar about two miles long situated in front of Camboinha Beach (about 17km from Tambaú beach). It appears whenever the tide is low. It is a great place for swimming, with natural coral pools of transparent water with a bright green tone.
- use these tide tables to time the visit: http://www.windfinder.com/tide/joao_pessoa
- Picãozinho Picãozinho is a reef formation located about 1500 meters from the beach of Tambaú. During periods of low tide a large portion of the reef is exposed. You take a boat to the place and dive to check the diversified marine fauna and flora.
- Sunset at Jacaré Beach In João Pessoa the sunset has a soundtrack. Everyday, when the sun gives the last gasps in the river beach of Jacaré, saxophonist “Jurady Sax” intones the “Bolero” by Ravel. The show takes place around 17:00h and attracts locals and tourists to the many bars along the waterfront. To get a good table on the decks, arrive early.
Other suggestions by my Brazilian friend are:
Pôr-do-sol (sunset) na Praia do Jacaré
Ilha de Areia Vermelha
Where to eat?
- Nau Frutos do Mar – great seafood, great reviews (6 minutes by car from condo)
- Mangai – great food, no alcohol but lots of fresh juices , north eastern cuisine, has tapioca...
- Gulliver Mar seafood by the sea, lobster
- Pontal do Cabo – live music, open air seats by beach, good reviews
- Giramundo Drinks + Food – outdoor seating
What to do?
Maybe try standup paddle again?
-Prachas and rowing
Value: £ 120.00 per person, 02 people R $ 200,00
- Craft Market Paraibano Mercado de Artesanato
- Handicraft Market Tambaú – feirinha de artesanato de tambaú